For most people, traveling to various places around the world is one of the best recreations, but that is when you have a safe and stress-free trip.
From international to domestic to family or corporate trips, traveling is enjoyable and relaxing only when you have a hassle-free trip . Naturally traveling comes with its fun but this also comes with its risks.
These risks can be severe and can arise without any prior notice. Imagine you are travelling to a different city and you are urgently in need of medical care? Or suppose you happen to lose your bag during a journey.
Here are some benefits of a travel insurance company:
Coverage of a Travel Insurance Services
There are several benefits of securing a travel insurance service because it covers the following:
- Trip cancellation Expenses: Suppose you are unable to make your flights or planned accommodation as a result of circumstances beyond your control such as injury, technical issues or natural disasters. In such a situation, your domestic travel agent will reimburse the cost of the trip which is non-refundable.
- Family Emergency / Traveling Companion: Travel Insurance covers your unexpected travel expenses if a family member you are traveling with dies or is hospitalised. Similarly, your traveling companion may not be able to continue the journey with you due to unforeseen circumstances; travel expenses will be reimbursed by the travel insurance.
- Accidental Medical Emergency: Sometimes, getting to a new place can cause some illnesses to the body, be it mild illness or injury, travel insurance plan can help you in meeting the medical expense incurred in getting medical treatment.
- Permanent Disability: If while on a journey you had an accident in which any of the limbs were disabled, a disability payment will be offered at least for 12 months after returning home.
- Replacement of Credit card fraud: If your credit card is stolen or lost during your journey, travel insurance covers the payment for the replacement.
- Baggage Delay Coverage or for Lost baggage: If your luggage is stolen or delayed more than 12 hours, travel insurance plan will take into account the expenses spent for personal use while waiting for your luggage.
- Vehicle Insurance cover: If the car you hired for the journey is stolen or has an accident during the journey, your travel protection will cover this under insurance.
- Loss of Income: If as a result of an accident you are unable to resume back to work, a travel insurance plan pays loss of income benefit for a set period.
- Trip Interruption: If your travel plan or flight you booked for is delayed for more than six hours, any unforeseen travel assistance you might need to pay for will come under insurance coverage.
How to Choose Travel Insurance Company
Even though travel insurance company provides you with all possible travel insurance coverage protection, there are some exclusion it does not cover at all. Such instances are self-inflicted injury, pre-existing illnesses, HIV AIDS and suicide attempts…etc.
What determines an excellent travel insurance policy? It is important to stay protected therefore the following are some factors to consider while choosing an travel health insurance service:
- Duration: Travel insurance service varies based on your duration and travel type. For instance, planning a trip of 7 days to a far country will cost lesser than traveling there for two weeks. The higher the duration, the higher the premium.
- Service and Claims History: An insurance company which does not come to your aid when you most need it is of no use. Therefore, check if they provide medical emergency assistance all round the clock and confirm the services using the trip assistance services or toll-free help lines before you sign up for it.
- Cover size: Decide the sum assured based on your destination and the cost of medical treatment in such country. Traveling to the US will require a higher cover while Thailand will require a smaller cover.
- Age and Health: Travel medical insurance does not cover pre-existing illnesses, especially those that come with age.
- Help and Support Options: A good online travel insurance service must have trained personnel who are readily available to provide information as to when needed.
- Comparison: Different online travel insurance services come with different prices and features. Therefore, comparing different services will help you in deciding which you believe will best work for you.
Best Online Travel Insurance Companies
To help you in deciding the best service on your next trip, we have compiled a list of the best online travel services in the world. Some of the factors considered while selecting these are the customer reviews and feedback, endorsement, customer service, awards, discounts offered amongst others.
Seven Corners is one of the most experienced travel / medical insurance companies in the world.
It is a licensed Third Party Administrator as required in some jurisdictions of the United States and they provide extensive services for traveler within and outside the USA.
Their services are second to none, and they are widely known to provide their customers with the interactive features they need to have a safe trip. They offer a wide range of services which include: comprehensive world health insurance, access to thousands of International doctors and hospitals, support during trip, a multi-lingual customer care service which is available 24/7 amongst others.
They are known to deliver quality services and they have a 4 star rating in Trustpilot.
Seven Corners assists those that are studying or teaching abroad with a Student Travel Insurance. This provides medical coverage with a small daily fee.
The company offers specialised benefits for you and your dependents including maternity coverage options as well.
Leadway Assurance Company
LEADWAY, as it is popularly called, covers medical care, trip cost and other losses incurred while traveling outside the country.
It covers all; traveler for business, holidays travel, and also in the occurrence of medical emergency, accidents, sickness, evacuation or loss of property.
Leadway covers travelers up to the age of 70-85 years. With a full customer care support which is available 24/7, they are able to provide interruption coverage even.
Their Travel Gold plan provides a Legal cover, which means that that if you happen to have a legal issue during your travel, Leadway will provide you a lawyer to handle the situation.
Allianz Travel Insurance
Allianz is a European travel insurance company with its headquarter at Munich, Germany.
They offer different plans for people traveling for leisure or business. Their single trip plan is ideal for families and individuals traveling domestically or abroad who may incur any number of unforeseen inconveniences.
Also, Allianz Global Assistance has a provision for rental car damage protector which provides primary coverage for loss or damage to cars with 24-hour emergency support.
Almost all of their plans now reflect an epidemic coverage endorsement, , which mean that some added benefits are covered for certain losses related to COVID19 or any future epidemic.
Their intuitive TravelSmart app is proactive and innovate enough to file claims, get smart alerts on travel restrictions, offer quick travel support with round the clock travel assistance.
Visitors Coverage insurance company offers a travel solution to all travelers coming to USA or going elsewhere also of course!
Their services covers travelers with pre-existing health conditions, individual and family, international travelers, travelers with green cards and immigrants, business travelers and students as well.
They have several insurance policy plans such as those with J1 visa, those who want to tour Europe specifically, and more.
They have excellent medical coverage options for new immigrants or those visiting their parents.
Similarly with their new CFAR policy which translates to Cancel for Any Reason, you are automatically covered in the post COVID-19 situation where you might have safety concerns and just want to cancel your trip.
VisitorCoverage has a quick and safe online purchase system to buy an insurance policy.
Arch RoamRight is a US based top-rated travel insurance company that offers comprehensive, global trip, multi trip and single trip travel insurance plans for businesses, groups and individuals traveling for business or leisure, adventure or educational purpose.
The company offers an extensive plan range which covers standard benefits like, baggage protection, trip cancellation, medical coverage, trip interruption, medical evacuation, flight insurance and more.
The company also provides a 24/7 phone assistance service for both long term and short distance travellers.
For best protection against unforseen events, you should buy travel insurance once you have booked your trip. Most travel insurance companies provide extra benefits if you buy within a certain time period of booking your trip. So make sure to read up on fine print and offers when booking trips. Because thet’s where the vital info is.
Aviva Travel Insurance Company is based in the United Kingdom with over 33 million customers across 16 countries. The firm is known as the 6th largest insurance provider of travel insurance services in the United Kingdom.
Aviva travel insurance policy covers the following; emergency medical expenses up to £10 million while on a trip, repatriation, cancellations up to £5,000 when you choose to abandon your trip, pre-paid excursions up to £250, emergency travel documents up to £750, cash and bank notes up to £400 and delayed baggage up to £150.
However, the policy does not cover the following; out-of-date travel documents, specific leisure activities that aren’t organised by a licensed operator and missed connections where you’ve not left enough time for travel, e.g. transfers between airports.
Aviva offers to add up to eight family members or friends to your policy. But they won’t cover you if you travel against the advice of local authorities esp with Covid-19 pandemic still looming around.
Travelex offers a wide range of travel insurance plans extensively through tour operators, travel agencies, on the internet and at airports.
Travelex has plans that cover a variety of choices from basic trips to luxury vacations. Three of Travelex ‘s top travel plans are the Travel Basic, Travel Select and the Travel America, aside these three, they offer Flight Insecure Plus pan as well.
These plans offer protection for trip cancellation, domestic and international travel, individual and family travel, Emergency Medical & Evacuation, dental, and of course travel assistance
Travelex has a smartphone app ‘Travel On’ which monitors all events worldwide and gives you all the information throughout your journey. The app is available on both iOS and Android platforms with worldwide click-to-call global travel assistance, destination advice, risk ratings and security alerts etc.
Finally, remember that as you journey through the different countries in the world, it is very important that you look for a travel insurance firm that would take care of you and your families when uncertainties occur.
With Covid19 pandemic still at large you need to be careful when planning your holiday vacation!
Have you used a travel insurance plan before? How was your experience? Hit the comments and let us know about companies your trust.