We all know that WhatsApp has over 900 million users, but for the app to work, we need a mobile number. If you don’t own a smartphone, then there is good news for you. WhatsApp can now be installed on laptop/PCs and tablet devices (Android Only). You can follow the instructions below and be part of the free messaging app.
WhatsApp Installation Guide for Android Tablets
Here is what you need to do to download WhatsApp on an Android tablet without a SIM card:
- Enable your tablet to install unknown sources by going to Settings, and then securities followed by Unknown Sources
- Open any browser on your tablet and go to the download page of WhatsApp.
- Download the latest ‘WhatsApp.apk’ from the link provided above.
- Install WhatsApp.apk
- Use a working phone number to setup WhatsApp on tablet.
- The code will be sent to the phone number via SMS, if the phone is nearby, just see the code and punch it in the tablet when you get the chance to. If you don’t get the code, skip to point 8.
- Because your device is without a SIM card, the app isn’t able to receive the verification code automatically and if the app refuses to give you the area to punch in the code yourself, then in five minutes’ time, it will show you another option of call / voice verification. Choose this option, so the code can then come on your phone. Take the call from WhatsApp.
- This time you will be given the option to type in code.
- Enter the code in your tablet.
- Once done, you are ready to use the app.
If however, your tablet already has a SIM card slot, the procedure becomes pretty straightforward:
- Download the WhatsApp file in your web browser.
- Make sure your tablet has the setting to install apps from unknown sources.
- Install the app.
- Provide all the necessary details
- Verify your phone number
- Start using the app.
WhatsApp Usage Guide for Laptop/PCs
Installing WhatsApp on the PC is even easier, here are the steps to get it done:
- Go to WhatsApp website link: https://www.whatsapp.com/download/ and download the PC setup file.
- Follow the on screen instructions which will guide you to use web WhatsApp.
Configuring WhatsApp on your PC is pretty simple and we recommend this over direct web version because one can accidentally close tabs.
WhatsApp Installation Guide for Laptop/PCs via BlueStacks
If you’re determined to keep the installation separate, then best to install for a new account. This essentially means you don’t need a phone or a tablet nearby for a synchronised usage.
- You need to download an Android Emulator for your PC; we suggest you use the BlueStacks Website and download.
- After installation concludes, set it up. You will be asked for a lot of info such as downloading game data, signing in with your Google Account and setting up other app features. Let it. That’s how the app works.
- Once the setup is successful, it should look similar to Google Play Store.
- Now all you need is WhatsApp APK file which you can get from the download page of WhatsApp.
- Open the APK file in BlueStacks (it will do this automatically anyway).
- Follow the on-screen instructions which will be a lot like those mentioned above for tablet.
- Once installed, a desktop shortcut for WhatsApp will be generated for your PC
- Now you can open WhatsApp by just clicking on the desktop icon!
Points to Ponder
WhatsApp installation and use are two different things.
You can use WhatsApp with only 1 number. If you want to keep WhatsApp Synced on more than 1 device, you will need to use the web version by authorising QR code. This means no new installation is required.
If however, you want to keep WhatsApp on phone and tablet, then each installation will require a different phone number.
So in effect you can have several WhatsApp accounts. Each account is determined by a phone number. You cannot use 1 phone number for WhatsApp Business and Personal. Otherwise the app will ask you to reauthorise when you go back to opening your older installation.